Quick Search

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Snap, Crackle & Pop!

At night when all is quiet in my house and I begin to use the handrails to pull myself upstairs to my bedroom, I hear it loud and clear. Snap, Crackle & Pop! Snap, Crackle & Pop! I'm not talking about Rice Crispy's either. This is the sound of the inside of almost all the joints in my body, especially my knees. I use to have good knees, somewhere over the years I ignored my little aches, pains, snaps, crackles & pops. I contributed those things to working out with weights, running for physical fitness, repetitive tactical movements, the impact of a 60 pound K9 throwing itself into you during attack training, getting pregnant, shipboard life and getting older. I say older, because then I didn't think I was that old, as a matter of fact I am not that old...but "It" makes me feel like an 80 yr old woman that can barley move at times. Today, the best way to describe my knee pain is to imagine walking and all of a sudden some crazy person decides to stab you right under your knee caps with an ice pick and then decides to pull it out and shove it in again with a side twist! This occurs when ever I try to do anything in which my weight is required to be supported by my knees. (Hence, the "Plop.") Oh ya. Whom ever thought that squats and lunges were cool exercise to do must have been high on some form of illegal narcotics. I no longer squat/lunge for anything! Nada! Out of all my joints, my knees, feet/ankles, lower back and neck are the worst. They wrestle with each other, playing tag-team to see which one will get the best of me throughout the day. I have to admit, most of the time they beat me down good. I counter attack with exercise, limited by what "It" allows me to do, no high impact what so ever. The doctors tell me exercise will help make me feel better and ease the pain. They have one part right so far, I feel better I have continued to push myself to exercise, at least it lets me know I'm not dead, I'm still waiting on the "ease the pain" part. While I'm waiting, and as I walk through the silence of my house everynight, I'll continue to listen to the rythmatic sounds of my unique Snap, Crackle & Pop as another reminder I have "It."

No comments:

Post a Comment